Best Hunting Backpack – Reviews in 2017
A hunting bag or backpack is surely an indispensable that you can’t do without when you get ready to embark on a hunting trail. Therefore, having a durable hunting backpack where you can comfortably store and carry firearms as well as other accessories is a given. In the following paragraphs, four distinct brands of hunting brands have been reviewed where each product comes equipped with unique features including extra pockets, secure zippers, and adjustable straps. The brands have been compared and contrasted in terms of weight, purpose, size, and price.
I. Types of Hunting Bags
When you get ready for a hunting expedition, the first and foremost essential that you need is a standard backpack or rucksack that’ll make your trip successful. In other words, the hunting bag should not only be handy enough to accommodate all your stalking and shooting equipment but also double up as a sleeping bag. Apart from the main compartment, the knapsack should have enough pockets to carry your rifle, bows and/or arrows, water bottle, magazines (ammunition), and so on.
Long gone are the days when preparing for a hunting trip largely meant banking on creativity as hunters had to lug not only weapons but other gear as well. So, it was not unusual for a huntsman to get bogged down with bungee cords, hatchet, machete, bows, arrows, and the sleeping bag. Cut back to the modern times where the hunter carries a hunting bag or a bow hunting backpack that’s serves as an all-in-one somewhat akin to the holdall used by seasoned tourists.
3. Waterproof Hunting Backpack
Always go for a hunting bag that’s watertight or waterproof-that’s one aspect which you should take for granted. Settle for a rucksack made from nylon or polyurethane with a base material of nylon.
II. Importance of carrying the right bag
The significance of carrying the perfect hunting bag will to a large extent depend on the sort of game you’ll be hunting, the topography of the terrain, and the season. Regardless of the nature of your hunting expedition, the backpack you carry should be:
- Should be made from a fabric that makes it almost muffled when you move
- Hardy (resistant to wear and tear)
III. Popular Amazon Products: Comparison and Features
- The ALPS OutdoorZ Dark Timber Day Pack is one hunting bag that you’d like to go for if you’re looking for convenience during your expedition. The rucksack is made of a high grade material that accords to the product an amazing lightness and durability on one hand and keeps it watertight on the other. It has sufficient chambers including a spacious main pocket, and side mesh pockets, solid padded shoulder straps and waist belt and lashing straps for lugging game.
- The ALPS OutdoorZ Dark Timber Day Pack is available at Amazon making it the cheapest amongst all the reviewed hunting bags.
That the ALPS OutdoorZ Traverse EPS was designed to carry a variety of gear including telescope, bows or rifle, water bottles, game meat, decoy, knives, and other knickknacks can be gauged from its size. The bag offers you 3,300 cubic inches of storage space and if that’s not enough there are compression straps that can be adjusted for expanding the bag for holding extra gear. So, the bag essentially offers you 4,500 cubic inches of room and its exclusive tubular aluminum H-frame form factor allows you to carry weight quite comfortably.
The ALPS OutdoorZ Commander is the best hunting bag that your money can buy whereas the ALPS OutdoorZ Pursuit excels as a bow hunting backpack. The former is actually a two-in-one rucksack that lets you tow all your gear and doubles up as a freighter frame with lashing functionality for lugging and securing meat. There are enough pockets for packing up essentials like torchlight and knife and comes with padded shoulder straps and waist belt for load cushioning.
The ALPS OutdoorZ Commander also stacks up to the ALPS OutdoorZ Commander feature to feature and has been designed to hold the bow and arrows in place. In terms of weight, the latter is lighter at 4 pounds 1 ounce whereas the former weighs a whopping 7 pounds 5 ounces making it the 3rd heaviest amongst the four hunting packs.
The ALPS OutdoorZ Commander along with pack bag competes stiffly with ALPS OutdoorZ Traverse EPS for being positioned as the ultimate hunting bag. The former serves both the purposes of portability (of all hunting kit and other related accessories) and haulage/securing (of game meat) as the bag pack can be separated from the frame whereas the latter has been designed to carry both the bow and the rifle. Both bags are suitable for lugging bulky equipment, have enough pockets, and metallic frameworks for supporting heavy loads. The former is more spacious and still manages to weigh less than the latter (complete with the frame).
The ALPS OutdoorZ Commander is the priciest amongst all the hunting bags that were put under the scanner. It costs a bit higher than the usual hunting bags and for good reasons. It is incredibly roomy at 5250 cubic inches, offers top loading, has provision for holding rifle, and is heavily padded facilitating carrying comfort.
IV. Concluding Remarks
- The ALPS OutdoorZ Pursuit costs a moderate rate, it offers the best value in terms of money as its design is suited for holding an array of bows, has sufficient storage pockets, stitched out of brushed Realtree Xtra HD fabric and comes with a rain cover
- The ALPS OutdoorZ Traverse EPS is the most versatile of all the bags reviewed as it is suitable for carrying both bow and rifle and is also very spacious
- ALPS OutdoorZ Commander offers the maximum room, has numerous side pockets, can be separated into two distinct functional units, and has high quality cushioning enabling convenient lugging. These unique features make the product the best in terms of quality.
- ALPS OutdoorZ Traverse EPS provides 3,300 cubic meters of storage room and unzipping the EPS (expandable pack section) adds another 1200 cubic meters making it the most capacious of all bags
- ALPS OutdoorZ Commander has the maximum number of features which makes it the most functional hunting bag.
I’m John Hillman & I absolutely, love camping, hiking and hunting in the wild. Before, I was in the military service for 10 years. After I was done with my service, I became a licensed hunter and a mountain guide. Not only, I’m experienced in camping & trekking but also, I hold a licensed a game hunting license.